Re: regarding "HURD"

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: regarding "HURD"
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:57:01 -0500

Arnuld:

Daniel's reply did not go to the list. Did he intend that it should be
private?

[I assume Daniel writes:]
> > GNU has it's own micro-kernel it's called GNU Mach, this is the official
> > micro-kernel of the Hurd. Maybe you should work on that?[1] I don't
> > think there are too many people who are willing to work on a completely
> > new micro-kernel, and you'd be hard pressed to write a decent one by
> > yourself.
>
> IIRC, GNU Mach is derived from CMU Mach. so we have not built our own
> from scratch according to our own design principles.
>
> >  [1] http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Mach/GNUMachRevivalProject
>
> i will check it before i post anything further.

There is a long list of things this group does not completely agree
about: DRM, GPLv3, design of a new operating system. One thing that the
group *does* agree about -- and most notably, the architects of the
original Hurd system agree about this -- is that the Mach kernel has
failed us.