Re: To Jonathan [backdoor]

From: Harri Haataja
Subject: Re: To Jonathan [backdoor]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:04:53 +0200

On 10/01/07, Jonathan S. Shapiro <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 00:56 +0300, Anton Tagunov wrote:
> A> Jonathan if you could build an utmostly secure OS
> A> yet having an inspection "backdoor" what would you do?
>
> J> Without any hesitation whatsoever I would leave out the back door.
> J> The problem with a back door is that it will not be used for emergency
> J> purposes. It will be used primarily by everyday administrators and
> J> companies for improper purposes.
>
> Very good point. Let me think for a while.
> I want to imagine a back door that shall be not be abused.
> Can we design one? Please let us not be fast to judge.

People have been trying to do that since the first multiuser computer.
No sign of hope so far.

Well, there are some that rely on physical security. Like options to
bootloaders or access keylocks in rs6k's etc.

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right