Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:07:52 -0500

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 20:12 -0500, Barry deFreese wrote:
Uhm, I really don't want to get into this discussion but isn't it called Free Software for a reason? Marcus and Neal are by no means stopping you from creating anything you want.

Yes. But Marcus has worked very hard on this, and none of us wish to
displace him.

Marcus is trying to satisfy a dream that he cannot (yet) fully
articulate. The visible portions of that dream appeals to many people
here. One reason that I have *not* volunteered to act as a HURD
maintainer is that my dreams are different.

Unfortunately, Marcus is suffering from insufficient time, and this
impedes progress. At some point, progress must become more important
than serving a dream that is not yet articulated. If not, then the dream
becomes an end in itself. It may still be beautiful, but we will not
produce a system that way.

shap
Shap,

I was not slighting Marcus, HurdNg, or anything else. I am simply stating that if others are not satisfied with waiting on Marcus, they are free to start their own projects. Marcus and/or Neal can still continue on their path.

Barry