Re: Program instantiation (was: Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, a

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Program instantiation (was: Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:36:47 -0500

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 18:33 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> So let's separate the issues.  There are two issues:
>
> 1) Should a linking (interpreter selection etc) algorithm be provided
>    along with the program files or should it exist in the ambient
>    space of the operating system?
>
> 2) Should the algorithm be run in its own address space or not?

(1) is infeasible in a system where the instantiating party does not
have access to the capabilities that the program will require. One
purpose of the constructor mechanism is to allow (e.g.) an instantiated
password agent to have access to the password database when I do not.
--
Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Managing Director