Re: Design principles

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Design principles
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:06:23 +0000

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 09:57:47PM +0100, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> At Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:34:33 +0000, Sam Mason wrote:
> > I would like to save a limited amount of private information on my
> > personal computer.  If an operating system has a similar one-sided
> > (it only really grants access, and rarely denies) view of security as
> > Wikipedia how would I go about doing this?
>
> This was proposed in the context of facilitating mutually suspicious
> collaboration and doesn't include private computing.  Instead of
> hiding what happens from both (which is essentially the EROS model),
> we "publish" everything that happens and record all changes.

Then how do you accomplish computations that require parts of one of the
process's state to remain private.  The example that always seems to
come up is password verification.  Your solution seems to be to use some
sort of daemon to do the checking, but this just appears to lead into
another harder, in the sense that I haven't seen a solution for it yet,
set of problems.

  Sam