Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:37:52 -0400

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 19:26 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Jonathan makes a point about video editing,
> but as the files just don't fit into core no matter how you look at
> it, you really have no choice but to edit frame by frame...

I agree, but this is mostly NOT true for audio. As I said, I use both,
and the interaction style of the two types of editors is profoundly
different.

>  (I am not
> convinced the problem is mmap() here, but then, maybe I misunderstood
> something).

Umm. I don't think mmap() is the problem either. I didn't write clearly.
What I was attempting to say was that if I can design my software to use
mmap() and sequential addressing assumptions, the entire software
structure is simpler than if I have to manage streaming explicitly. The
use or non-use of mmap() doesn't change the physical resource
availability problem at all.
--
Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Managing Director