Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 01:40:03 +0200

Hi,

Bahadir Balban <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> One could have "ctl" and "data" files as in Plan 9, to implement
> driver control and data flow (or use extensible file attributes)
>
> File-based API should work for most services such as communication
> protocols, drivers, console etc. Please elaborate on why you oppose it.

I suppose Bas is referring to the fact that Plan 9 ends up doing a lot
of possibly costly marshalling/unmarshalling on `ctl' nodes (see [0] for
an example).

Compare this with the Hurd/MiG approach where an RPC is encoded in a
compact binary form, which is more amenable to optimizations.

Thanks,
Ludo'.

[0] http://swtch.com/usr/local/plan9/src/cmd/auth/factotum/ctl.c