Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:19:19 +0200

Hello

2009/9/15 Bas Wijnen <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 03:30:08PM +0530, arnuld uttre wrote:
>> I wanted to work on a language which is not designed for PDP-11 but
>> for modern 32bit hardware.

I don't know where people get the hate against PDP-11. I suspect most
even haven't seen one.

>>  How many of you think that using C is still a good idea ?
>> Do you think using C fits that criteria for Hurd ?
>
> I have written a toy kernel for x86 some time ago, in the spirit of
> discussions I had on this list with Shapiro and others.  That kernel was
> written in C.  It worked, and I am still quite happy about it.  If
> others would have joined, it might have become a serious kernel, maybe
> even the basis for the Hurd.
>
> However, nobody did, and I moved on as well.  Recently, I started
> writing a new kernel[0], for a mips-based mini-pc, mostly with the same
> ideas, but now in C++[1].  Of course I'm not using any libraries, so no
> new, virtual member functions, exceptions, or any other fancy things.
> But I do sort my code in classes with normal member functions and
> namespaces, and I do use default function arguments and a few templates
> (but not the STL, because it uses new).

When you announced that you are writing this kernel you said something
along the lines that it will be a sort of proof-of-concept
implementation of some not-yet-finished ideas.

I was somewhat curious about the results because the kernel was
supposed to have a resource management which was based on ideas that I
could not imagine working. I did not notice any announcement of
progress or other output so there we are.

Thanks

Michal