Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:24:15 +0100

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:51:49AM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> Still many banks and and institutions use formats and software for
> communication with their clients that is non-free and works only with
> selected system(s) on selected platform(s).

Yes, because it's the defacto standard.  As annoying as this is it's a
fact of life at the moment.  There are tools to work with most of the
important formats, but, as always, things could be better.

> If they chose to use drm I wonder who could stop them.

Mass public outcry that their phone, ipod/other esoteric hardware
doesn't work.  It only takes a few people expressing distrust for things
to snowball.  Big companies are getting good at controlling this, but
they're not all powerful yet.  Apple's iTunes appears to have gone DRM
free, but I don't use it so can't comment.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/