Re: C++

From: Andrew Waidler
Subject: Re: C++
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:28:18 -0600

In my limited experience with C and C++, the most frustrating part has been not the language itself, but the compiler options. I like having a strong type system and a "cranky" compiler. I could live with C and C++ if I could get the compiler to be cranky. Perhaps I haven't dug into the gcc manual page enough. Java (as just an example) compilers complain enough about casting issues that I'm forced to fix them, or end up fixing them anyway. Another point is that compilers sometimes over-optimize to the point of causing security bugs, which I think this was the recent example in Linux;
http://lwn.net/Articles/341773/
Are there any gcc security related options or tips?

-Andrew