Re: Coyotos

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Coyotos
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:36:12 -0700

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
But it wasn't the only problem. Other issues were the fully synchnonous
IPC, which is unsuitable for certain use cases -- including situation
common in a UNIX environment;

There is unchallenged evidence in the literature that Linux on top of L4 (which, note, uses a fully synchronous IPC model) is *faster* than Linux running native, I wonder if you can cite concrete examples and back them up with something better than assertions.

...and the completely different resource
management approach.
The Coyotos kernel does not have a resource management approach. It provides naming and primitive protection for atomic system resources at the level of pages, but does not define any policy over those resources. Resource management is performed entirely at user level.

So yes, this would be a reason not to use Coyotos the system, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Coyotos the kernel.

I'm not sure whether the persistence mechanism was also a concern
already when this decision was made, or it was only later that Marcus
changed his mind on that...
Coyotos doesn't implement persistence, so if that was an issue, I have to conclude that people didn't look very seriously at Coyotos.