Re: [Libcdio-devel] How to handle getopt.c for those systems that don't

From: Steven M. Schultz
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] How to handle getopt.c for those systems that don't have...
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 19:47:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, R. Bernstein wrote:

> J. Creath noted that the libcdio configure test is actually for GNU
> getopt, which has slightly different (irrelevant) behavior than
> standard getopt.

        Right - which is why there is 'libgnugetopt' in the FreeBSD ports.
        Couple project I've dealt with over the years have just used that
        for BSD systems.

> And he notes that FreeBSD 4.9 and earlier doesn't keep the information
> in <getopt.h>, but in <unistd.h>.

        Sigh, but yep.

> So in src/util.h, instead of
>
> #include <popt.h>
>
> one might have:
>
> #if defined(__FreeBSD__)
> #if (OSVERSION > 500000)
> #include "getopt.h"
> #else
> #include "unistd.h"
> #endif

        AC_CHECK_HEADER(unistd.h,getopt.h)

#ifdef HAVE_UNISTD_H
#include <unistd.h>
#endif
#ifdef HAVE_GETOPT_H
#include <getopt.h>
#endif

        and avoid specific  version checking.

> Any comments?

        Or just put libpopt back (duck and run for cover ;))

        Cheers,
        Steven Schultz