Re: [Libcdio-devel] Backup mentors needed for libcdio and Google Summer

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Backup mentors needed for libcdio and Google Summer of Code 2006
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:06:03 -0400

I'm out of town for a little more than a week and will have limited
computer access.

Burkhard Plaum writes:
 > I would call it CD-Text charset support. The idea is to detect the character
 > set of CDText data and convert them to UTF-8 (or, alternatively to some user
 > defined charset, but I think just UTF-8 would be enough at least on modern
 > Linux systems).
 >
 > This would involve:
 >
 > - Detecting the character set of a particular CDtext entry. Documentation
 >    for this is hard to get, but the sources of some burning programs can help
 >    here.

The list I put together was really taken from the TODO list and as
such in some cases was just trying to capture requests of others.

What you write above sounds good. If you have CVS access to libcdio could
you just make the changes in CVS. (If not and you want send me private
email.)

 > - Write the string conversion using iconv (I have some working and stable
 > code
 >    in gmerlin, I can donate for this).

I know there are some places in libcdio that use iconv, but if you could
donate/encorporate the code into libcdio that's also be really great.

 > - Test with as many CDs as possible (at least some western European
 > languages,
 >    ideally also Japanese/Chinese/Arabic).

At one time on Savannah I has a repository for test CD images. It may
still be there and if not perhaps one should be set up.