Re: [Libcdio-devel] Disabling Drive Cache for Paranoia

From: Peter Creath
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Disabling Drive Cache for Paranoia
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:13:25 -0400

How big is your drive's cache?  There's a setting in the
cdrom_paranoia_t that you pass to paranoia_read() that specifies how
many sectors cdparanoia needs to read to exhaust your cache.
Specifically, it's cdrom_paranoia_t.readahead.

cdparanoia is written in a way that assumes everything is broken,
because it usually is in practice.  Drivers and kernel can cause
dropped samples, drives almost never support the features they claim
to support, etc.  Or, to your point, drives don't always obey FUA (or
its implementation in the driver or kernel may be broken).  Thus the
way cdparanoia is designed to handle drive caches is to increase this
readahead value so that it exhausts the drive's cache.  This approach
ends up being more reliable.

Hope this helps,

   -P