[Libcdio-devel] Question about libcdio license

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Question about libcdio license
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:30:29 -0500

Brian Cameron writes:

 > I notice that libcdio has a GPL license, yet is used by many programs
 > that are GPL-based.  For example gstreamer "good" plugins as listed on
 > your "Projects using GNU libcdio".
 >
 > Wouldn't it make more sense for the libraries libcio to be LGPL licensed
 > so that programs like GStreamer can use it without possibly violating
 > their LGPL licenses?

Having GStreamer change its license to GPL would work just as well. In
fact some might argue that's a better way to rectify things. :-)

Folks who started libcdio and who have contributed have done so under
the assumption and understanding it is GPL, not LGPL. It was
registered with FSF as GPL. I am not aware of any sort of desire let
alone consensus to change the license. Of course, if I'm wrong I guess
folks will chime in here.

 > Please cc: me on any responses since I am not on this mail alias.

Done. But if there is further discussion you might want to check back
with the mailing list or join it. (It really doesn't generate that
much email traffic.)