[Libcdio-devel] Inline getopt copy creating problems

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Inline getopt copy creating problems
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:37:48 -0500

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò writes:
 > Hi all,

Hey, good to see you're still there doing good things!a

 > I got reported by Mich from FreeBSD of a PR reported to him [1] about
 > failures
 > in building libcdio while having -I/usr/include in the commandline (which
 > albeit rare makes a bit of sense).

I think basically the report was saying that
#include <getopt.h> was used where it should have been
#include "getopt.h>

Although the report suggests several source files that this happens, I
could only find one. Nevertheless I've made the simple change.

 > I've looked into it, and I do think that the inconditional use of the
 > alternative getopt() function is suboptimal, although obviously needed for
 > systems like Solaris and similar.
 >
 > Luckily the problem was already considered more than once, and there's
 > gnulib[2] to take care of it. I've tried it locally and it's trivial to just
 > import the gnulib module (and its dependency), and should solve the problem
 > entirely; it does use about 100KB more for this though.
 >
 > Comments?

Anything that simplifies and regularizes I'm for. As for the extra
space, I don't think that should be a big concern. Some distributions
like Debian, break out the command-tool part that uses getopts into a
separate package.

Of course as always, I'm am eager to hear what others think too.