[Libcdio-devel] Re: Paranoia and CD-Extra

From: David Stockwell
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: Paranoia and CD-Extra
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:55:55 -0500

Rocky,

I agree.  Reviewing Wiki again, it is apparent that MIXED is something else,
and that CD_Extra can "follow" several "standards"
(quotes for sarcasm).

+++++

One more point: when I query cdio_get_discmode, it returns
CDIO_DISC_MODE_CD_DA. Should this actually respond with
CDIO_DISC_MODE_MIXED (God forbid we add some CDIO_DISC_MODE_CD_EXTRA enum and
really screw things up...).

+++++

I'll not try to pretend to be an expert here. But I can try to explain
what the intention was.

These modes were supposed to follow the definitions and terminology in
the various Philips CD specifications (Red Book, White Book, etc). In
this, I believe the was a disc mode called "Mixed Mode". See for
example

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_mode

It is not clear to me that if adding a CD Extra session constitues
turning something which is CD-DA into this mixed mode. In fact:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Extra

seems to suggest not.