Re: [Libcdio-devel] Re: GPLv3?

From: Burkhard Plaum
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Re: GPLv3?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:49:30 +0100

Hi,

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò schrieb:
Burkhard Plaum <address@hidden> writes:

- Therefore all projects, which borrowed code from MPlayer, should be
  GPL-v2 too (e.g. xine). If they are GPL-v2+, they violate the
  license.

Actually no. Almost all the code in xine is GPL 2 or later. The
"borrowed" from MPlayer limits mostly to the win32 codecs loader, so
_that_ plugin would be incompatible with GPL 3,

From xine-lib/src/libw32dll/w32codec.c (Sourceforge ViewCVS):

/*
 * Copyright (C) 2000-2006 the xine project
 *
 * This file is part of xine, a free video player.
 *
 * xine is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * xine is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA
 *
 * $Id: w32codec.c,v 1.155 2006/07/10 22:08:43 dgp85 Exp $
 *
 * routines for using w32 codecs
 * DirectShow support by Miguel Freitas (Nov/2001)
 * DMO support (Dez/2002)
 *
 */

not the whole thing.

The "whole thing" cannot consist of plugins with incompatible licenses,
because AFAIK dynamic loading requires licenses to be compatible (correct me
if I'm, wrong).

Don't missunderstand me, I don't want to flame against any project. I have
exactly the same problems in my own software too. I just have the feeling,
that this GPLv2 vs GPLv3 topic is more complicated than it looks at a first
glance.

Well, that and a couple others that have uncertain licenses up to now.

Yea, those are always a problem.

Burkhard