[Libcdio-devel] Re: comments and questions

From: Robert William Fuller
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: comments and questions
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:27:20 -0500

Robert William Fuller wrote:
The quirk results in a serious usability problem with the library. As I'm sure you know, the library assumes a two second gap at the beginning of all audio tracks. Put simply, more often than not, this is an incorrect assumption. Hence, when you rip tracks with libcdio-paranoia, often times the beginning of the songs are clipped. It is especially a

Umm ok so I was partially wrong on this. libcdio-paranoia apparently uses either LSN's or LBA's because it ignores the two second gap that the library reports for MSF's.

Nevertheless, it would be nice if applications that used MSF's, such as those that create cue or toc files, did not have to subtract two seconds from the value returned by the library for audio tracks! Hence, there is still a usability problem, but it is within the library, and libcdio-paranoia does not suffer from it.

Now I realize that cdparanoia does not currently detect gaps and that is the reason that an assumption is made. I also saw somewhere a suggestion for a GSoC project to add gap detection. However, in the interim, I would suggest that the library make a better assumption, that audio tracks do NOT start with a two second gap.

Still stands...

Also, I have not seen any traffic on this list since I signed up, and I notice that aside from configuration code, little has changed in the CVS for many months. Is this project still active?

Still wondering...

Thank you.

Regards,

Rob