Re: [Libcdio-devel] Fix mmc_ll_cmds.c for use with MSVC compilers

From: Pete Batard
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Fix mmc_ll_cmds.c for use with MSVC compilers
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:22:54 +0000

On 2012.01.31 02:50, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
I meant to add one other small point which I think should be worth
mentioning.

In a project like libcdio the extent of its portability is determined
largely by those who use it and are willing to help out. At various times
in the past, the code has been more friendly to say BSDI or OSX.  If
support for these has OS's wained, it is because the people who were
interested in them have lost interest. I'm not expressing this as a good or
bad thing -- just they way things are.

This seems to be true with most of the projects I know of.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm planning to hang around libcdio even after I'm done with this exercise and ensure that MSVC/MinGW still works, at least for the features I added. I may not participate actively in future discussions, but I'll try to test regularly and give a shout if I anything broken on Windows.

Now, since I'm nearing completion of MinGW/MSVC support, and since -pbatard cannot exactly be used in its current state for integration (some patches need to be merged, other have been reverted or amended), this is what I'm planning to do next:

1. Once I consider -pbatard feature-complete for MSVC/MinGW, I'll create a new branch, most likely -pbatard-integration, based on mainline, and I will refactor the patches from -pbatard into formal commit proposals for mainline.

2. Once I have a few commits in -pbatard-integration, I'll submit the patches to the list for review

This work will probably happen in discrete packets, i.e. submit 2 or 3 patches, wait for review and only once the existing ones have been integrated into mainline produce and submit some more.

If you want to proceed differently, let me know.

Regards,

/Pete