Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:09:08 +0100

Hi,

> It get the impression that drafts, or at least some, of them were
> distributed for public review. And that's why many are still around.

One can still find them if one searches intensly enough.

> Another approach which I've used in the past and I think is perfectly
> suitable is to use one of the vendor manuals that is freely available.

If you have some and if it is legal to distribute copies, then this
would of course be a great improvement of the specs situation.

> I am interested though in understanding of those drafts ever had a
> distribution restriction.

They have, i fear. They are for technical discussion. Members of the
INCITS organization are entitled to spread copies. Others are not.
"All rights reserved."

Since the policy declaration of T10 implicitely states that it once was
permitted for others to get the drafts for learning about the discussed
standards, and since they were once downloadable without any restriction
or instruction, i deem it legal to still read and quote them.

Last year i talked my employer into buying libburnia a copy of MMC-6.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas