Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD_MSF_FORMAT vs LBA on NetBSD

From: Edd Barrett
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD_MSF_FORMAT vs LBA on NetBSD
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 21:33:24 +0000

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 09:16:31PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> A simple solution would be to throw out get_track_lba_netbsd() and
> to set .get_track_lba to NULL.
> Then both functions in track.c would use get_track_msf_netbsd().
> Next one would fix get_track_msf_netbsd() to take into respect
>   p_env->gen.i_first_track
> instead of 1 when accessing .tocent[] by track number.
>
> As long as it is purely about CD media, asking the drive for LBA offers
> no advantage over asking it for MSF (that's SCSI command READ TOC/PMA/ATIP
> field "Format"). On DVD and BD media there are LBAs which exceed the limit
> of 256 minutes. But there are no audio sectors on DVD or BD.

Interesting. There's a lot to take in here.

Is it important, though, to offer up both addressing modes for consumers
of libcdio? Or is it not exposed that way?

Put differently, if the underlying OS supports both addressing modes,
should we implement both callbacks in the driver.

(I may have some time to try some of your suggestions at the weekend)

Greg, any thoughts?

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett