Re: [Libcdio-devel] OpenBSD vs libcdio vs Audacious

From: Edd Barrett
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] OpenBSD vs libcdio vs Audacious
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:43:49 +0000

Hi!

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 04:24:29PM -0500, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> > ---8<---
> > void cdio_info (const char format[], ...) GNUC_PRINTF(1,2);
> > ---8<---
>
> The logging goes back to the earliest days of libcdio so we are talking
> almost 20 years ago. In fact it predates it and is from vcdimager. It also
> has a certain amount of globalness in the way things are set.
>
> If someone wants to rewrite this in modern C, by all means go ahead!

I was preparing to do exactly that, but actually, what you have is fine.
I was under the impression that on OpenBSD GNUC_PRINTF would expand to
nothing, and thus logging would not happen.

However:
 * It does expand to the attribute after all.
 * Even if it didn't logging would still work. These are just
   attributes.

I've tested the logging on OpenBSD and it works fine.

As discussed earlier, the following diff replaces all the manual
perror() and fprintf() calls in the BSD driver with calls to the logger:

https://github.com/vext01/libcdio/commit/a19e11bdfa4a6b8d4ef0cef14e5e2eaa92cdb714

Once that's in, I think I'm happy that libcdio is OpenBSD-ready. Perhaps
we could make a release, and then I can update the version in our
packages collection :)

We might find some bugs in doing so, but I can feed them back up to you
guys as necessary.

Cheers

--
Best Regards