libcdio-help

Re: [Libcdio-help] Best function to read audio CD

From: Robert William Fuller
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-help] Best function to read audio CD
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:07:03 -0500

More comments below.

Rocky Bernstein wrote:
Comments below.

<snip>

cdio_read_sector() doesn't try to do any verification or correction of data
while cdio_paranoia_read() and uses cdio_sector_read() and then tries to
adjust the data assuming it is an audio sample.

So if what you start out with is a perfect read of data, then
cdio_paranoia_read() can only mangle this. Another interesting question
though is whether it mangles it in an audibly noticeable way. For example it
could replace one kind of silence with another kind.

That cdparanoia is more accurate is interesting and suggests that the port
to libcdio is not as good as it could be.

Yes, as Rocky suggests, there are problems with the paranoia code in libcdio. I recognized this as well when I was working on cued. For example, if you rip from an image file, such as an NRG file, rather than a real CD, you will often find paranoia making corrections for jitter and other problems!

Some of paranoia's features probably ought to be disabled on modern drives that support accurate stream. These drives shouldn't suffer from things such as jitter.

My stint in grad school seems to be coming to an end, so I might have time to look at this in the not so distant future. I am curious if these problems are fixed in a newer version of paranoia. I have been thinking about trying to improve paranoia.

Rob