libextractor

Re: [libextractor] Input file stdin

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libextractor] Input file stdin
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 02:39:26 +0200

Hi!

In theory this is possible, but not really in a nice way: some files
must be parsed in non-sequential order, so the only way to handle a
stream would be to read it *entirely* into memory and then process that.

For large streams, this would be extremely inefficient (in terms of RAM
usage).  Hence, it is likely safer to just write the stream to a
(temporary) file and process it from there.

That said, I'm not opposed to accepting a patch if someone has a
use-case where temporary files are unacceptable *and* keeping the entire
stream in memory is actually fine.

Happy hacking!

Christian