Re: [libmicrohttpd] digest auth TLS and POST

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] digest auth TLS and POST
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:15:01 +0100

Hi Mark,

I got it now.  The issue is that in digestauth.c:415/416, MHD hashes
the URI into the MD5 that is being generated for the nonce (timestamps
and counters are not the issue here, which is what confused me):

  MD5Update (&md5, uri, strlen(uri));
  MD5Update (&md5, ":", 1);

If you remove those two lines, the example you e-mailed me works without
any Authentication Failed responses.  Now, the issue here is that once
you do remove those lines, you loose a bit of security against a MiTM
attacker.

Say user A requests file /foo.pdf, then currently a MiTM can (with
HTTP digest auth) see /foo.pdf being transmitted, but that's it.  If
you remove the URI from the set, the MiTM can grab the authorization
code and get /secret.pdf as well.

Sadly, the browser doesn't know MHD's method for computing nonces,
and thus always uses the same nonce for different URIs, which fails
once the URI itself changes.  AFAIK there is no good choice, as there
is no way to magically tell browsers how to "properly" generate
nonces, as that's the servers domain, and re-using nonce's for different
requests goes against the security model: nonce = number used ONCE;
the fact that browsers re-use the same nonce for a different request
may (with "lesser" HTTP servers) slightly improve performance, but at
a price.

Now, theoretically one could offer an option to comment out those two
lines, but I'm unconvinced that the minimal performance improvement
for the (IMO rare) case of digest authentication is worth the additional
security risk, especially given the widespread surveillance and MiTM
attacks that are happening on the Internet today.

Happy hacking!

Christian