Re: [libmicrohttpd] epoll documentation and code discrepancy

From: Sebastiano Merlino
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] epoll documentation and code discrepancy
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 16:27:27 +0000

Hi Christian,
thanks for the reply. The documentation I was referring to is linked here: https://www.gnu.org/software/libmicrohttpd/manual/libmicrohttpd.html

Thanks,
Sebastiano

On 2 January 2016 at 11:28, Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12/28/2015 02:19 PM, Sebastiano Merlino wrote:
> Hell,
> I've been using libmicrohttpd for quite a while now (thank you for all
> the hard work you have been doing over the years). I was updating some
> of my code to use epoll these days and I noticed the documentation
> saying about MHD_USE_EPOLL_LINUX_ONLY:
>
> "This option is only available on Linux systems and only works in
> conjunction with MHD_USE_THREAD_PER_CONNECTION (at this point)."

This is wrong, but I cannot find it in the documentation. I've checked
both the microhttpd.h header and the TexInfo manual. Could you please
point us to where this (old) typo still persists?

> Using a combination of MHD_USE_THREAD_PER_CONNECTION and
> MHD_USE_EPOLL_LINUX_ONLY caused the daemon to be returned as NULL -
> looking at the code I see and error and the following message:
>
> "Combining MHD_USE_THREAD_PER_CONNECTION and MHD_USE_EPOLL_LINUX_ONLY is
> not supported."

This is correct.

> Is the use of epoll reserved just to INTERNAL_SELECT?

No, epoll() now works for everything except "thread per connection",
which doesn't need select/poll/epoll as it uses blocking IO.

Happy hacking!