Re: [libmicrohttpd] MHD in "worker processes" mode

From: silvioprog
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] MHD in "worker processes" mode
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:01:29 -0300

I'm very impressed with MHD _customizability_ to use external features/tools/libraries.

Thanks Gregory and Christian for answers! :-)

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/10/2016 09:20 PM, Junker, Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-06-10 at 13:37 +0200, Christian Grothoff wrote:
>> On 06/10/2016 02:04 AM, silvioprog wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Please take a look at this question and the first answer:
>>>
>>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/399431/how-many-nginx-processes-shou
>>> ld-there-be
>>>
>>> It raise a question: can I use the worker processes approach with
>>> MHD?
>>> If I understood, it need to up two or more process, but when I try
>>> that:
>>> "Failed to bind to port 8080: Address already in use".
>> You can have a parent process do the binding and then share the
>> listen
>> socket with child processes. Or, you can on most OSes set the binding
>> policy to allow multiple processes to listen to the same socket.
>
> Interesting, I did not know that was an option. What are the rules
> about which process gets released from a select() or poll in that
> case?

It's a (benign) race. Statistically speaking, the process that is less
busy ;-).  MHD exploits the same race when multiple threads are in a
thread pool racing to accept on the listen selector in-process.

--
Silvio Clécio