[libmicrohttpd] MHD threading models: what model is similar to Least Con

From: silvioprog
Subject: [libmicrohttpd] MHD threading models: what model is similar to Least Connected?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 17:13:19 -0300

Hello,

Please take a look at this quote:

"Least Connected

With least connected load balancing, nginx won’t forward any traffic to a busy server. This method is useful when operations on the application servers take longer to complete. Using this method helps to avoid overload situations, because nginx doesn't pass any requests to servers which are already under load."

See article: https://futurestud.io/tutorials/nginx-load-balancing-advanced-configuration .

I'm using this nginx feature and it helped me a lot: I have an application with two routes, the first one is fast because it just process common atomic CRUD operations; the second is a little bit slow, because that spends a long time processing hard things like report generation. So I start two instances of my application and configuring two proxies in my upstream, all the time the requests are redirected to the first proxy, but when some request executes some reporting generation -- blocking the server --, all next requests are redirected to the second proxy, however, after a timeout (about 10 seconds), the server checks if the first proxy is readable, coming back the requests for the first one.

Does MHD offer something like this on its threading models? It so, what flags I need to pass to get the following behavior: all the time the users are routed in the first thread using the MHD's event-driven, however, when someone executes some reporting generation -- blocking the server --, each new request MHD checks if the route is still blocked, if so, MHD creates a new thread (also in event-drive way) redirecting the next request for it.

I don't know if I was clear in my explanation, but in short I'm trying something like the nginx's "Least Connected", however using purely MHD requests.

--
Silvio Clécio