Re: [libmicrohttpd] feature request: change malloc/calloc/free functions

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] feature request: change malloc/calloc/free functions
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 21:44:19 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the proposal, but I don't think this kind of patch belongs
into MHD. malloc() performance is not critical for MHD at all, as MHD
hardly uses malloc(): We mostly use our own custom memory pool, usually
on top of mmap(), to avoid fragmentation issues and to limit memory
consumption per TCP connection.

So I doubt you'd get _any_ performance delta by using Hoard. If I am
wrong and you do have MHD-specific performance measurements that show
that this is not premature optimization, please share them!

Please also consider that there are allocation functions like
strdup()/strndup(), and mixing allocators (malloc going to Hoard,
strdup() to libc) is likely to end in disaster on free(). So in my view
the only _good_ place to add the functions you propose (or Hoard itself)
would be (GNU) libc.

Happy hacking!

Christian