[libmicrohttpd] New Features: Create response from an IOVEC and Thread-s

From: Earp, Damon N. (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]
Subject: [libmicrohttpd] New Features: Create response from an IOVEC and Thread-safe Adding Connections to an EPoll Internal Thread MHD_Daemon
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 17:14:01 +0000

Afternoon,

We've made changes to libmicrohttpd that we'd like to see integrated into the
project. If this isn't the appropriate forum for submitting patches please let
us know.

I've attached the changes via three patch files, described below. All the
developed by my colleague Lawrence Sebald who is CC'd. We initially made these
changes to 0.9.62, and at the end of December ported them to 0.9.72. The
patched 0.9.62 has been in our production environment for over a month and
serviced billions of requests at this point. The patched version 0.9.72 is
almost done testing and is to be pushed to production later this month.

Thanks,
Damon Earp

Attachments:
1. 0.9.72.patch
    This contains all the changes that we've made to the library. I've included
this as it is machine generated, the other patch files are a manual pruning of
this file.

2. 0.9.72-MHD_create_response_from_iovec.patch
    Added the ability to give MHD a vector of distinct buffers which make up
the response body. This allows a zero-copy for serving data that is fragmented
in memory. This change further adds the `MHD_IOVContentReaderFreeCallback` type
which includes a cls pointer on top of the iovec used to make the request.

3. 0.9.72-internal_queue_connection.patch
    This is an ad hoc implementation to concurrently call
`MHD_add_connection()` on a daemon with no listen socket and an epoll internal
thread. We have been playing around with scheduling algorithms and have a pool
of `MHD_Daemon` workers which we can schedule a connection to. Our initial
attempts tried to rely on the locking in `internal_add_connection()` however we
ran into too many race conditions that we created a linked list of queued
connections in the daemon and then activated itc to drain the queue in the
internal thread.