Re: [libmicrohttpd] [EXTERNAL] Re: New Features: Create response from an

From: Sebald, Lawrence (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] [EXTERNAL] Re: New Features: Create response from an IOVEC and Thread-safe Adding Connections to an EPoll Internal Thread MHD_Daemon
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:29:59 +0000

Christian and Evgeny,

Thank you again for your prompt review of the patch file.

> After more carefully looking at your code after
>
>/* Adjust the internal tracking information for the iovec to take this
>last send into account. */
>
>I am quite confused about how this is supposed to possibly work. It
>seems way more convoluted than necessary.

The original reason that that code is as convoluted as it is is that our original patch had the internal copy of the iovec passed into the callback that is called when the response is freed. The idea was to ensure that the internal copy of the iovec would have the same exact elements in it as what the originally passed in iovec contained. You are probably correct that this could be simplified a bit now that the response free callback no longer passes the iovec and instead just uses a single user data pointer as does the callback-based content reader response free, as long as there’s no want for reuse of the response. Basically, the [0] element is the only one that should ever differ from what was passed in by the user with the code as it stands right now, which is what the data_iov_tr element is used for (keeping the original copy of the element at data_iov_left[0]). Technically speaking, the only part of the data_iov_tr that needs to be zeroed is the iov_base, so the memset could be replaced just with setting that value, but I figured the memset was more clear for intent.

> While working on merging your patch, I've discovered that you designed new kind of responses as non-reusable and they cannot be used simultaneously for replying for two requests as response contains several members (like data_iov_left, data_iovcnt_left) that related to some specific response process. Was it your initial design idea?

Our system only uses these responses once, so reusability was not something that we had in mind initially, no. It is necessary to keep some state since sendmsg/writev do not guarantee that the data written is fully sent in one call, just as send/write do not -- therefore we do have to keep track of the position within the iovec where the last write ended to ensure that we can take this into account.

> Also test_get_iovec is still using one continuous buffer. Maybe you used some wrong version of this file for the patch?

The test_get_iovec test actually tests both cases. The testInternalGet function is called twice in main, once using  a contiguous buffer (created with the ahc_echo callback) and once using a non-contiguous one (created with the ncont_echo callback).

Regards,

Lawrence

--
Wishes,
Evgeny

After more carefully looking at your code after

/* Adjust the internal tracking information for the iovec to take this
last send into account. */

I am quite confused about how this is supposed to possibly work. It
seems way more convoluted than necessary.

Why not simply one for loop:

if (ret >= 0)
{
  for (i = 0; i<response->data_iovcnt_left;i++)
  {
     if (ret < response->data_iov_left[i].iov_len)
     {
        response->data_iov_left[i].iov_base += ret;
        response->data_iov_left[i].iov_len -= ret;
        response->data_iov_left += i;
        response->data_iovcnt_left -= i;
        break;
     }
     ret -= response->data_iov_left[i].iov_len;
  }
}

I don't see hte need for the special-casing of [0], or the memset to zero.

What am I missing?

My 2 cents

Christian

On 1/15/21 9:12 PM, Earp, Damon N. (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND