libreboot-dev

Re: [Libreboot-dev] Anti-Theft Measures

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [Libreboot-dev] Anti-Theft Measures
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 14:35:47 +0200

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:22:19 -0600
Alex Griffin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was thinking about how Libreboot could incorporate some kind of
> anti-theft features along the lines of Prey, because that kind of
> functionality has to move into firmware if you use full-disk
> encryption. Then I hit upon a way simpler idea that you can just put
> at the bottom of your grub.cfg:
>
>     menuentry '' { true }
>     menuentry 'If found please return to:' { true }
>     menuentry 'My Name <address@hidden>' { true }
>     menuentry '(###) ###-####' { true }
>
> Technically this trick applies more generally to GRUB too, but it
> seems more useful to me when it's embedded in firmware and thus
> harder to remove. Would there be any interest in adding this to the
> manual if I submitted a patch?
It might be able to be done like that (in grub):
if (the user didn't succeed at entering the GRUB password for a while) {
  display_the_message();
}

I don't see why it woundn't be desirable for some users.
Maybe if you care about it and use it, there is a valid use case, so
you could add it to libreboot manual.

Denis.