libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Problems installing libreboot on C201

From: Paul Kocialkowski
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Problems installing libreboot on C201
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 13:26:54 +0100

Hi,

Le vendredi 04 décembre 2015 à 23:49 +0100, Albin a écrit :
> Tonight I tried to install libreboot onto an ASOS C201. I ran into a
> number of difficulties that I managed to overcome (see the points below,
> my contribution to the docs), but then I got stuck at the point where
> one is to run the cros-flash-replace script. The terminal keeps
> returning PERMISSION DENIED. The file permissions, however, are the same
> as just after compilation and I've also removed The Screw as instructed.
>
> Does anyone have a clue what might be the problem?

Does that happen when running flashrom or cros-flash-replace? Could you
paste the exact output from the terminal?

Are you sure that you have logged-in as root to do this?
It's not clearly mentionned in the guide, but the # suggests that these
operations have to be done as root.

I have updated the docs to make this clearer:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libreboot.git/commit/?id=c13fe7aad75a74096f0e8d090c282e254fd78108

> Errors found in the documentation:
>
> 1. There are *eight* screws that need to be removed to open the device,
> not seven. There is (at least on my device) one also beneath the top
> left pad.

That's already fixed with commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libreboot.git/commit/?id=513cf7edd6ad4575452f86ba035b2d617ae0b331

> 2. You get into the TTY promt by pressing *Ctrl+Alt+Next*.
> *Ctrl+Alt+Previous* is for exiting the promt.

Thanks for reporting this, I have just updated the docs:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libreboot.git/commit/?id=494e8a2abdd0c0757c7aadfae2c0c97333eb0d24

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libreboot.git/commit/?id=9ecd349e0e48c22131ca45e534bc76951ca6e881

> "Then, the cros-flash-replace script has to be executed as such:
> # ./cros-firmware-replace flash.img coreboot ro-frid"
>
> By the way, shouldn't there be .img extensions after coreboot and ro-frid?

Nope, cros-flash-replace takes the name of the images as specified in
the description file.

Note that all the fixes aren't reflected on the website yet due to the
move to texinfo. It might take some time before the two are back in
sync.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: https://www.replicant.us/
Blog: https://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: https://redmine.replicant.us/