[libredwg] More on the SAT/SAB novel

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: [libredwg] More on the SAT/SAB novel
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:16:26 -0400

Although I had been lead to think that the SAT/SAB file format used inside 3D_SOLID, BODY and REGION was "open", based on news from years ago, now what I suspected turned out to be confirmed:

The SAB/SAT formats are not publicly documented.

Check this: http://forums.spatial.com/t5/3D-Modeling/SAT-file-format-description/m-p/1092

Parsing the SAT (text) could be feasible with some scarce documentation that I've found and just looking at files, but reverse-engineering the SAB seems beyond the scope of this project. Of course, we could still try to find the sentinel which marks the end of the SAB stream to prevend decode_3d_solid from segfaulting.

Directly from LibrePlanet2010,
Rodrigo

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva