Re: [libredwg] Release plan (was: LibreDWG Merge)

From: gagan
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Release plan (was: LibreDWG Merge)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:36:15 +0530

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:50 AM, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think, we need to fix date for release, then we must work to honour
>> that date. That will make us to stretch our-self to work more, and our
>> release may see a day of light.
>
> I agree that we must set a release date. "It will be ready when it is
> ready" means it won't be ready soon in a totally volunteer-run
> project.
>
> Although, since the library is still very unstable and hasn't freezed
> its API I think we must set a release plan before setting a date, and
> then set a date that is compatible with it.
>
> This roadmap is the first thing that comes to my mind:
>
> - merge gagan's work, polish
> - merge avneet's work, polish
> - make sure at least R13 to R2000 works reasonably (specially handles)
> - review bug reports in Savannah
> - review and incorporate patches in Savannah
> - check if all copyright assignments are OK
> - check if modified files carry respective author and year mentions
>
> What would make for (a) later release(s):
>
> - better R2004 support
> - merge Till's R2007 branch (although I see no reason not to merge it
>   right now and warn the user that it'll crash)
> - review and merge guruprasad rane's testing framework
> - fix python bindings
> - make python bindings more python-ey (probably rewrite them from
>   scratch with something else than SWIG)
> - incorporate work that Felipe Castro has done recently on libdwg

Nice roadmap! We need to update the wiki page too.

> Considering that we haven't had much activity here lately, this seems
> too tight. Maybe one month from now?

No problems. We need to do it a bit quicker though.

> What do you guys think of this plan? We would be glad if each one of
> us reading this list could pick up a task and work on it.

Sure! I would merge the branches as soon as refactoring branch is
repaired and Avneet responds here. After that polishing will be done.

> BTW, GSoC 2014 has been launched and GNU has applied as an
> organization.

I am an eligible student. Any ideas/plans for LibreDWG ?

--
Thanks
Gaganjyot