libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] april meetup?

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] april meetup?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 12:15:05 -0400

On 07/04/15 01:55 AM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> I would like to extend to everyone in LibrePlanet an invitation to any
> Ubuntu Release Parties.

Thanks, Bob!

> Even though Ubuntu does not qualify as an FSF Free OS, you'll find
> that the people who come to the Ubuntu events are open-minded, with
> many embracing the Free Software philosophy.  Others are there because
> Ubuntu is their first exposure to non-proprietary software, and come
> for the guidance and expertise of others.  If there are knowledgeable
> and experienced people there to explain the principles and benefits of
> Free Software, that's all for the good. [...]

I'd agree with this. Even though Canonical isn't necessarily trustworthy on free
software, the Ubuntu community still has many people who are supportive of or
open to free software. I think it's not so much the Canonical / Ubuntu project
position but the local community that makes the local release parties relevant
and appropriate for us.

That said though, an Ubuntu Release Party would be a good chance to get together
and meet other GNU/Linux users who might be open to LibrePlanet, but not
necessarily a good chance to talk LibrePlanet ON specifically. But maybe the
easiest thing for April is to just get together at the Ubuntu Release Party, and
set up a more LibrePlanet-specific meetup for May? I'm not sure that there's
anything that can't wait until May anyways.

> The Toronto Release Party will be at 8:00pm on Thursday, 23 April 2015
> at the Alio Lounge, 108 Dundas Street West (just west of Bay). Michael
> Kaulbach (genii-around on IRC, or @Genii in the !Fediverse) will bring
> the fixings for cupcake decoration, and the pizza at Alio's is pretty
> good.  http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-ca/3074/detail [...]
>
> Registration for both events is appreciated, but not compulsory.  If
> you'd rather not register just let me know you're coming and I'll add
> you as a +1.

I may be able to attend (a bit later in the evening though), but I won't know
for sure until we get a bit closer. I'll register if it looks like I'll be able
to make it!