Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?

From: Nikos Roussos
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:05:22 +0300

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Anthony Papillion <papillion@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Nikos Roussos <nikos@autoverse.net> wrote:

> Currently I'm aware of two solutions: Sparkleshare and Melissi. Sparkleshare
> depends on git, which is ok for regular files but problematic for
> music/videos/etc, and I have some privacy concerns because it uses a public
> irc server for notifications. Melissi is still on alpha version, but it uses
> the "right" technologies for this kind of thing.

Thanks Nikos! I'm probably going to check out Melissi since I really
don't like the idea of using a public IRC server, even if it's just
for notifications. Without looking, I'm assuming Melissi never moves
my data to the cloud? It all always stays on my home server?

Your data stays on the "cloud" the melissi-server runs (in your case your home server) and locally on every pc you run melissi-client. More or less like Dropbox.

> PS. It would be nice to share with us the rest software stack you are
> currently using on your home server.

It's not a sophisticated setup at all. I'm always looking to refine it though:

- Ubuntu Linux
- Postfix mail
- Roundcube Webmail
- Homebrew document creation (HTML converted by script to ODF)

I'm looking at Zimbra right now as it looks like the open source
edition might just provide replacements for a few of these but we'll
see.

Personally I prefer Zarafa over Zimbra :)

Any thoughts on how this might be improved?

You may want to check out Feng-Office also. If you want to have document management.

I'm currently testing the Amahi project. It's a Fedora-based distribution that simpleifies the whole proccess of setting up a home server.

--
Nikos Roussos
about | linkedin