Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [LibrePlanet-US-MA] [cc-community] 4-YEAR PLAN

From: Danny Piccirillo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [LibrePlanet-US-MA] [cc-community] 4-YEAR PLAN ideas for LibrePlanet/Students for Free Culture @Hampshire College
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:13:47 -0500

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks for the feedback! This is great-- I forgot mention that we're also looking for ideas that might reach beyond the scope of free culture, but may be tangentially related. For example making more data open, as I mentioned, or even helping Hampshire improve their scattered and disorganized web services. Basically, making improvements to school infrastructure with a mindfullness of free software and free culture issues. Things that would make sense to do after turning Hampshire into a free culture school.

Anyways, could you explain the Open Knowledge space a bit more? Hampshire has a zine library as well as a freely licensed wiki called Hampedia. Are you thinking more of a library of physical copies of freely licensed work, or a hackerspace, or something else entirely? Physical spaces might be really difficult to esablish...but that's exactly the level of ambitiousness we want to be going for! [=

With regards to business models, what kind of exploration did you have in mind? As a student group, we are aware of services like Kickstarter and Flattr and other alternative payment models, but in what context do you imagine us applying this to Hampshire College? We do plan on promoting these platforms to students here, but we're really interested in permanent institutional changes that we can fight for.

We are looking for more speakers so we'll put Maddogg Hall on the list. One concern though: does he tend to come from this standpoint of "open" rather than "free"? We tend to be a little careful about openwashing. It has landed the FLOSS movement in a place where so-called "open" platforms are used to restrict freedom. Stock Android, the primary example of Linux gone mainstream, is based on free software, but is not distributed as such. Most popular eBook readers are also Linux-based, but you can't buy an eBook reader that doesn't come with DRM. We love Creative Commons, but we want to avoid promoting things that endorse the non-free CC licenses or take a wishy-washy stance as tends to happen with openwashing: http://freedomdefined.org/Definition