Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Robert Martinez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 22:29:35 +0200

On 07/05/12 22:04, Ramana Kumar wrote:
<snip>
I think you misunderstood my original email. I wanted to launch GNU anew with the focus being primarily on the goal of freedom. The idea-packaging I had in mind was: "A: Hey look, a new OS! B: Why would I want that? A: Because it's free as in freedom! B: Why does that matter? A: {... start of discussion}".

I think you're stirring up everybody becauseyou say things like:
"I wanted to launch GNU anew with the focus being primarily on the goal of freedom."
But GNU already HAS the primary goal of freedom!
I believe your point is to create a label that transports the value more clearly.
And i must say i thought about that sometimes, too:
The OSI has a sticker that indicates stuff that is open source with the green cut open "O".
Nothing like that exists for free software.
But then again you should see that you don't want to "relaunch" GNU, since GNU is Not Unix, and is a big project.