Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Patrick Anderson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 16:15:40 -0600

I find the term "Free Software" is confusing and even misleading for
many people who think it might be about "Freeware" or "Shareware" or
sometimes even about proprietary software that is being distributed
illegally ("Hey buddy, want some *free* software <wink, wink>").

The term "Free Software" is limited to software, but we must address
the difficulties of replacing proprietary services such as Fakebook
(sic).

As much as we wish they would, most people just WILL NOT think about
the long-term implications of their actions, and so we will need to
create alternatives with benefits that those users can understand and
appreciate in the *present* instead of ominous theoretical concepts
that seem unlikely to be of any consequence, and so are ignored until
after they have already arrived.

Creating actual alternatives means we must learn to share the hardware
needed to host those alternatives.  The details of understanding how
to share hardware while preserving User Freedom are not yet fully
understood, but it is not impossible.

Sincerely,
Patrick Anderson
http://ImputedProduction.BlogSpot.com