Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tack

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tackling Network Effect]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:46:54 -0400

    This leads me to confusion on the interpretation of what FREEDOM means to
FSF.

In general, freedom means having control of your own life.

In regard to software, the freedoms we stand for are described
in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.

When a service is equivalent to running a program, you should not
use that service; insist on having a program (free, of course).
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html.

    First freedom <> free. Freedom is rooted in choice.

Freedom is not measured by the number of choices.  That's the wrong way
to analyze it, and leads to very bad conclusions.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation