Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?

From: Anthony Papillion
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 06:17:27 -0500

> Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 13:05:20 +0200
> From: lluvia_lists@lavabit.com
> To: ramana.kumar@gmail.com
> CC: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
> Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?
>
> The topic of #pidgin on freenode says that audio call is
> working on (only) XMPP and not in Windows.
>
> I asked them and they told me that using Psi on the Windows part should
> work for taking with Pidgin on the GNU/Linux side.

I've been hunting for a good Skype replacement for a while too. I recently came
across Jitsi. It's completely replaced Skype for me. Jitsi is open source and
free, integrates with a bunch of networks (XMPP, Yahoo, MSN, etc), and allows
you to do encrypted voice and text chat with other users on existing networks.
It's cross platform too (written in Java) and works well on both Windows and
Linux.  It doesn't allow you to call Skype contacts since Skype won't let
anyone in but you can make and receive phone calls pretty cheap by using a SIP
provider.

Check out the website at www.jitsi.org

HTH,
Anthony