Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Access to Hardware

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Access to Hardware
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 20:15:41 +0200

On 07/07/2012 19:44, Richard Stallman wrote:
I am not opposed to capitalism as such, and I don't think that the
surveillance imposed of ISPs is the result of their capitalistic
nature.  It comes from the state, sometimes at the behest of the
copyright companies, sometimes for other state purposes.
(please forgive my English, my name is, but in fact I'm French)

But laws/bills are in fact for a large part dict by company lobbies, especially regarding copyright laws.
(Mickey Mouse Act, ...)
Even in France, its likely happen parliament kept "compatibility amendment" against DRM.
And in fact it is not, especially with VOD.
If a few users share a piece of hardware, I don't see any problem in
that.  However, a large activity to make hardware for many users seems
rather similar to having a company make the hardware.  It isn't
necessarily bad, but bad things can happen.

I fully agree with that. A strong, good "constitution" is needed to try to avoid problems.

A point of failure is "who is in charge" of hardware/sysadmin.
In fact, even on Savannah you are in lack of admins, as it needs huge capabilities.

Another is : "there is a unused amount of money, what is the next investment?" Worse: there is an hardware failure we can't afford with "federal reserve", who can afford?

The Debian ballot model could be a good start point on "decisions".

T.Harding