Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:22:43 -0700

If it is already understood how this is to be done, then why is it not
already done?

This == possibly the first on-topic thing you've posted here.

The free software movement definitely sees this problem all the time--do you want advice with how to deal with it? There are several schools of thought.

1. Live with it. Continue under the status quo, and when it suits your objective, selfish needs, work with free software. When it doesn't, don't. This is the majority of people using GNU/Linux, in my experience. Nothing will change if you take this course.

2. Work on it personally. Work towards having your own system, with all free software. This is a lot of work, and maybe it takes more time than most people would like to spend, hence the low number of people who do it. You should also be prepared to explain why you're doing this. This, in my opinion, is the narrow path that will produce good results for free software advocates, and maybe the collectivist attitudes you're spreading as well (though I maintain that this isn't the place for that).

3. Make loud noises at people. This is the FSF way, as well as (apparently) your way. It doesn't work. People get annoyed with you, they get confused, and they lash out. This may actually *hurt* your cause.

Take your pick, but as always, please do it somewhere where it's on-topic.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation