Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:41:33 +0200

Dnia środa, 25 lipca 2012 o 14:32:49 Ziv Leyes napisał(a):
> People tend to "trust" big corporates, as silly as this may sound,
> of course...

I know, but that's a different problem.

> They will tend to trust big organized monsters to keep their data
> safe, instead of trusting a home user like you and me, that could
> be potentially a hacker

Lulz. ;)

Seriously, though, that's a problem of appearances and public
perception, and Facebook + Microsoft are doing some great groundwork
for us there lately.

> But in any case, most users are not so concerned about the
> "freedom" we're looking for, so this alternative to those services
> should be a better choice, otherwise, we can just keep using the
> existing services. But I like the idea, and I think it's doable,
> again, not without a little hassle, someone needs to manage it,

True.

> some server needs to control and coordinate the communications.

False. Look at BitTorrent and magnet links. Look at Tor.

> That's why I think we don't need to reinvent the wheel, services
> like sneer or friendica are already using this same principle so
> why make yet another one if we already have one that's doing it
> fine?

Nowhere have I said we need to create a new service. If there are
services that implement this idea, great, let's test them, use them,
develop them and promote them.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania