Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 23:41:16 +0200

Il giorno martedì 24/07/2012 22:47:36 CEST
Robert Martinez <mail@mray.de> ha scritto:

> On 24/07/12 22:31, Patrick Anderson wrote:
> > But corporations own the *physical* network.
>
> Well if you want to change *physical* stuff, and of that magnitude -
> maybe the free-*software* movement is not the place to look for support.

In my opinion such an approach, so strictly technological (free software -
source code) and so strictly legal related (free software - licenses), is *the*
main limit of the free software movement.

Software needs hardware, and free software needs free hardware: if you do not
care about this, then they will success locking (TC, DRM, SecureBoot) ALL the
hardware... and this means free sofware will dead.

Digital communication needs a physical network, also when using free software:
if you do not care about this, then they could decide as they want if / who /
how people can use the net... but their approach is based on closed wallet,
control and surveillance... and this means free sofware will dead.

The same way as every other human things, software is strictly related with
the whole aspects of the human society (material and immaterial goods,
relations between people, politics etc.): thinking about software as a
self-contained and separate world is a "CLOSED" way to approach things
which could not help the free software movement.

> > Who owns and controls the copper or fiber-optics
> > or satellites that those protocols must use?
>
> The protocols work fine via wlan between two laptops ;)

right. but it will be right also if secureboot (or other hardware TC) will
avoid you to install any free software operating system on those laptops...

> You're trying to elevate data-transfer services to common infrastructure.
> This is another political question and depends extremely on your local
> government, not software freedom.

no... basically they are exactly the SAME question!

I hope people worldwide (including FSF guys) would understand and share this
point of view as soon as possible... otherwise free software (and freedom in
general) - which are already sick - will ultimately entirely die.

Regards
--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535