Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:53:53 -0400

Patrick Anderson wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:
Pledge $25 or more
Access to software on release date -
Hi Miles,

Does this option include source-code for
that component?

absolutely!

If so, then I think I understand the confusion.

To some of us, it sounds like you are saying
"For $25, the user receives binaries, but not
source-code for the 'client' component.".

But I think what you are actually saying is :
"For $25, the user receives binaries *and*
source-code for the 'client' component, but
does not recieve binaries nor source-code
for the 'server' component.".

Ahhh...
- on the formal release date, all client and server code will be available, GPL (or other open source license) for download by anyone - the $25 also provides an account on our server, plus an identity cert generated by us - anybody will be completely free to download and install the server component on their own server (for personal use, organizational use, or to set up as a service provider) - and we hope that lots of people will do so - anybody will be free to generate their own self-certified identity cert. and/or go to someone like Verisign

Before that, we'll actively distribute alpha and beta code to contributors (we're hoping to attract testers and developers) - we'll be providing access to our server and certs to contributors, and contributors will be free to further distribute all source and binary code - it's just that we won't be broadly distributing from our own repository until formal release.

I hope this clarifies things.

And... since this has been dropped from the thread:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1947703258/smart-notebooks-keeping-on-the-same-page-across-th