Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community orien

From: Mike Linksvayer
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community oriented licence(s)
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 08:52:53 -0700

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> On 12-10-03 05:50 PM, Ramana Kumar wrote:
>
> Another attempt at a summary, and a plea for focussed clarification.
>
> Patrick has written/will write two pieces of software, A and B.
> Patrick's wishes:
>
> Users of A do not pay for using it.
> Users of B know that Patrick wrote B.
>
> Patrick's assumptions:
>
> His wishes are best realised by his choice of software licenses.
> People need significant help finding gratis copies, especially when
> non-gratis copies exist.
> People need significant help finding the original author of the software
> they are using.
>
> Much of the rest of this thread is trolling. Please don't continue it.
>
> Patrick, do you have any other relevant wishes or assumptions, or is this an
> accurate summary?
>
> Everyone else, write specific ways to realise his wishes and/or specific
> inaccuracies in his assumptions or faults of reasoning therefrom.
>

> this is perfect, thank you.
>
> Please help. I am not trying to troll, I am asking for help

Release your software under AGPLv3 and *actively enforce* its conditions.

No license is going to stop people from creating scams around
software, if that software is worth anything. Including no license --
consider all the scams around "free" proprietary software. You have to
actively enforce. The other thing you have to do is actively promote
non-scammy availability. Not releasing under a real free software
license is massively harmful to the latter.

But yeah, if you think exploitation is a greater threat than obscurity
and that a semi-closed license will effectively stop exploitation,
please ask for help elsewhere. :)

Mike