Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community orien

From: Bryan Baldwin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community oriented licence(s)
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:45:46 +1300

On 10/05/2012 05:51 AM, Patrick wrote:
> I'd better not answer this. I should wind things down now. The FSF
> foundation and it's members care about free software but the scope of
> concerns stops there. FSF compatible licences do not protect charitable
> software from becoming for-profit, period.

The "charitable" quality cannot be applied to software meaningfully. A
person can be charitable, not a program. You may wish to be charitable
and give copies of your program away only as gratis, but it is not then
unethical for another person to be entrepreneurial and sell copies of it
for profit, *if* they are conveying the four freedoms when they do.